Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium Dosing
Considerations for people taking amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium include the following:
- The medication comes in tablets, chewable tablets, and a suspension (liquid) form. It is taken every 8 or 12 hours, depending on the particular product and dosage.
- Take amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium with a meal or a snack, as this helps prevent stomach upset.
- The suspension form should be shaken thoroughly before each dose, as the medication tends to settle to the bottom of the bottle. Also, amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium suspension should be stored in the refrigerator and discarded after 10 days of being mixed. You may have extra suspension left over after finishing the prescribed course; this should be immediately discarded.
- It is important that you finish your course of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it too soon could lead to the development of medication-resistant bacteria.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.