Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium
Interested in a Discount on Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
General considerations for when and how to take amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium include the following:
- The medication comes in tablets, chewable tablets, and a suspension (liquid) form. It is taken every 8 or 12 hours, depending on the particular product and dosage.
- Take amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium with a meal or a snack, as this helps prevent stomach upset.
- Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium suspension should be shaken thoroughly before each dose, as the medication tends to settle to the bottom of the bottle. Also, the suspension should be stored in the refrigerator and discarded after 10 days of being mixed. You may have extra suspension left over after finishing the prescribed course of treatment; this should be discarded immediately.
- It is important that you finish your course of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it too soon could lead to the development of medication-resistant bacteria.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
The dose of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of infection and bacteria
- Your age and weight
- The particular amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium product
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium Dosing for more information.)