There is no standard Amoxil dosage that will work for all situations. Your healthcare provider will recommend an appropriate dosage based on several factors, including your age and weight, the type of infection you have, and the severity of your infection. In order for the antibiotic to work, you must follow Amoxil dosing guidelines as prescribed.
The dose of Amoxil® (amoxicillin) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age and weight
- The type of infection and bacteria
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As with any medication, do not adjust your Amoxil dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
There is no "standard" dose of Amoxil that is recommended for all situations. Your healthcare provider will calculate the appropriate dose by taking into account several factors, including your weight, the severity of the infection, the type of the infection, and the type of bacteria causing the infection. Be sure to follow your healthcare provider's dosing instructions carefully. Try to space the doses out as evenly as possible (every 12 hours for twice-daily doses or every 8 hours for thrice-daily dosing).
Be sure to finish your prescription, even if you start to feel better. Stopping Amoxil too soon could lead to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
Some considerations for people taking Amoxil include the following:
- Amoxil comes as capsules, tablets, chewable tablets, pediatric drops, and oral suspension (liquid). For most conditions, it is usually taken by mouth two or three times a day (except for gonorrhea, which is treated with a single, one-time dose).
- You can take Amoxil with food or on an empty stomach. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Be sure to shake the oral suspension or pediatric drops well before each dose. The suspension and drops taste better if stored in the refrigerator.
- A dose of the oral suspension or pediatric drops can be added to formula, milk, fruit juice, water, ginger ale, or cold drinks if necessary. The mixture should then be taken immediately and completely.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Amoxil will not work if you stop taking it too soon.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Amoxil dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.