For treating most types of common bacterial infections, the recommended dosage of azithromycin is 250 mg or 500 mg once daily for three to five days. Dosing for children can range (depending on body weight) from 5 mg to 20 mg per kilogram of body weight per day, once daily for three to five days. The recommended dose for treating sexually transmitted diseases (STD) is 1 g to 2 g, given one time only.
Azithromycin Dosage: An Introduction
The dose of azithromycin (Zithromax®) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition you are being treated for
- Your age
- Whether you have decreased liver function
- Whether you have decreased kidney function
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your azithromycin dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dosage for Bacterial Infections
The recommended dosage for most types of common bacterial infections is 250 mg or 500 mg once daily for three to five days. For chronic or more serious infections, your healthcare provider may continue azithromycin treatment for an extended period of time.
In children, the dosing can range (depending on body weight) from 5 mg to 20 mg per kilogram of body weight per day (mg/kg/day), once daily for three to five days.
Dosage for Sexually Transmitted Diseases
The recommended dosage of azithromycin for the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases (STD) is 1 gram (1000 mg) to 2 grams (2000 mg) given one time only.
General Information on Dosing With Azithromycin
Some other information for people taking azithromycin includes:
- Azithromycin should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medicine in your system.
- Azithromycin tablets and immediate-release liquid suspensions can be taken with or without food. If these dosage forms upset your stomach, taking it with food may help.
- Azithromycin extended-release suspension should be taken without food, either one hour before eating or two hours after.
- Drink a full glass of water with each dose.
- For azithromycin to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed.
- Make sure that you complete your entire prescription of azithromycin, even if you start feeling better. This will ensure that the infection is completely treated.
- Never take outdated azithromycin. Taking any outdated medication may cause serious problems because the intended effects often change after expiration.
- If you are unsure about anything related to azithromycin or your azithromycin dosage, please talk with your doctor or pharmacist. Do not stop taking azithromycin without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.