What Is Azithromycin Used For?
Is Azithromycin Used for Children?
Azithromycin has been approved to treat the same infections in children that it is used to treat in adults. Some of these infections include:
- Respiratory infections, such as bronchitis
- Ear infections (otitis media)
- Sinus infections (sinusitis)
- Throat infections (tonsillitis/pharyngitis)
- Skin infections
- Pelvic inflammatory disease.
Is Azithromycin Used Off-Label?
On occasion, your healthcare provider may recommend or use azithromycin for treating something other than the conditions listed above. This is called an "off-label" use. Off-label azithromycin uses may include:
- Acne treatment
- Prevention of heart infections (bacterial endocarditis)
- Treatment of whooping cough (pertussis)
- Treatment of Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) in HIV-infected patients
- Treatment of cat scratch disease.