What Is Azithromycin Used For?
Azithromycin has been approved to treat the same infections in children that it is used to treat in adults. Some of these infections include:
- Respiratory infections, such as bronchitis
- Ear infections (otitis media)
- Sinus infections (sinusitis)
- Throat infections (tonsillitis/pharyngitis)
- Skin infections
- Pelvic inflammatory disease.
On occasion, your healthcare provider may recommend or use azithromycin for treating something other than the conditions listed above. This is called an "off-label" use. Off-label azithromycin uses may include:
- Acne treatment
- Prevention of heart infections (bacterial endocarditis)
- Treatment of whooping cough (pertussis)
- Treatment of Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) in HIV-infected patients
- Treatment of cat scratch disease.