When and How to Take Bactrim DSSome general considerations for those taking this antibiotic include the following:
- Bactrim DS comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually twice a day, although it is taken as frequently as four times daily or as infrequently as once daily for certain uses.
- You can take this medication with food or on an empty stomach. If Bactrim DS bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Bactrim DS can be taken at any time of the day; however, make sure to take the medication at the same time(s) each day. For instance, if you take it twice daily, it is best to evenly space the doses, taking a dose every 12 hours.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Bactrim DS will not work if you stop taking it too soon.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Bactrim DS your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of infection and bacteria
- Your height and weight (for some uses)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Bactrim Dosage for more information.)
Side Effects of Bactrim DSAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Bactrim DS. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. Serious side effects are less common.
Some of the common side effects include but are not limited to:
- Loss of appetite
(Click Bactrim Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)