Side Effects of Cefdinir
Some side effects of cefdinir can indicate a serious problem. If you experience any of these side effects, stop taking cefdinir and call your healthcare provider. These side effects include but are not limited to:
- Blood in stools
- Severe or watery diarrhea
- Unusual headaches
- Blurred vision
- Unexplained rash
- Itchy skin
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the throat
- Peeling of the skin.
Rare side effects of cefdinir occur in less than 1 percent of patients taking the drug. Because these side effects are so uncommon, it is difficult to tell whether they are actually caused by the medication itself or by something else.
Some of these rare side effects include but are not limited to:
- Serious allergic reaction
- Bloody diarrhea
- Loss of appetite (anorexia)
- Heart failure
- Inflammation of the vagina (vaginitis)
- Chest pain
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Increased rate of red blood cell destruction (hemolytic anemia)
- Reduced amount of platelets in the blood (thrombocytopenia)
- Liver failure
- Kidney failure
- Serious intestinal infection (enterocolitis).
It is possible that you may experience some or none of the side effects of cefdinir listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand whether you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried. Therefore, let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be a side effect, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.