The standard recommended dosage of cefpodoxime for children will vary, depending mostly on the child's weight. In general, the standard amount is 5 mg per kg (about 2.3 mg per lb) twice a day, with no more than 200 mg per dose.
For ear infections, strep throat, or tonsillitis, the antibiotic is usually given for five days. It is usually given for 10 days for sinus infections.
Cefpodoxime liquid comes in two different strengths (50 mg per 5 mL and 100 mg per 5 mL). After it is mixed, you should keep it in the refrigerator and discard any unused portion after 14 days.
If your kidneys are not functioning well, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower or less-frequent cefpodoxime dose.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with cefpodoxime include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet or oral suspension (liquid) form. It is taken by mouth, usually twice a day.
- The length of treatment recommended will vary, depending on the type and severity of the infection.
- The tablets are best absorbed when taken with food. You can take the liquid with or without food.
- Make sure to shake the suspension well before each dose.
- Make sure to finish the prescribed course of this antibiotic, as stopping cefpodoxime too soon can lead to more serious infections.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or cefpodoxime dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.