If you are taking cefpodoxime to treat a bacterial infection, your dosage will be calculated based on the type of infection you have, your age and weight, and a number of other factors. This prescription antibiotic comes as tablets or a liquid, and is usually taken twice daily. Do not stop taking this drug too soon, as it may lead to more serious infections.
The dose of cefpodoxime proxetil (Vantin®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on factors such as:
- Your age
- Your weight
- The type and severity of the infection being treated
- How well your kidneys are functioning
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard recommended dosing guidelines for cefpodoxime are as follows:
- For treating pharyngitis ("strep throat") or tonsillitis in adults: 100 mg every 12 hours for 5 to 10 days
- For treating pneumonia: 200 mg every 12 hours for 14 days
- For bronchitis: 200 mg every 12 hours for 10 days
- For gonorrhea: A one-time, 200-mg dose
- For skin and skin structure infections: 400 mg every 12 hours for 7 to 14 days
- For sinus infections: 200 mg every 12 hours for 10 days
- For urinary tract infections: 100 mg every 12 hours for 7 days.
If your kidneys are not functioning well, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower or less-frequent cefpodoxime dose.