Ceftibuten can be taken as a capsule or an oral suspension (liquid) that is taken once daily for 10 days. It is used to treat various bacterial infections. The specific dosage of ceftibuten you receive will depend on many factors, such as your weight, how well your kidneys function, and the type and severity of the infection you have.
The dosage of ceftibuten (Cedax®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on factors such as:
- Your age
- Your weight
- The type and severity of the infection being treated
- How well your kidneys are functioning
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard ceftibuten dosage for adults and adolescents age 12 and older is 400 mg once daily for 10 days. If your kidneys are not functioning well, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower or less frequent dose.
The standard recommended dose of ceftibuten for children will vary, depending mostly on the child's weight. In general, the standard amount is 9 mg per kg once a day (but no more than 400 mg per day) for 10 days. This is about 4.1 mg per lb per day.
Ceftibuten liquid comes in two different strengths: 90 mg per 5 mL and 180 mg per 5 mL.
If your kidneys are not functioning well, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower or less frequent dose of ceftibuten.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with ceftibuten include the following:
- This medication comes in capsule or oral suspension (liquid) form. It is taken by mouth once daily for 10 days.
- The oral suspension should be taken on an empty stomach at least two hours before or one hour after a meal. Taking it with food decreases the absorption of the antibiotic and might make it less effective.
- You may take the capsules with or without food.
- Make sure to shake the suspension well before each dose.
- Make sure to finish the prescribed course of this antibiotic, as stopping ceftibuten too soon can lead to more serious infections.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or ceftibuten dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.