Clarithromycin Side Effects
Among the most common side effects of clarithromycin are diarrhea, vomiting, and headaches. Some rare side effects include dizziness, canker sores, and thrush. Although most clarithromycin side effects tend to be minor, some side effects that can indicate something serious. Contact your healthcare provider right away if you develop hallucinations, seizures, or bloody diarrhea while taking the drug.
An Introduction to Clarithromycin Side EffectsJust like any medicine, clarithromycin (Biaxin®) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with clarithromycin. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of clarithromycin side effects with you.)
Side Effects of Clarithromycin ReportSome side effects with clarithromycin, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of liver damage, such as:
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Upper-right abdominal (stomach) pain
- Light-colored stools
- Dark urine
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) in people with diabetes
- Hallucinations, anxiety, or any other unusual changes in thoughts or behavior
- Watery or bloody diarrhea (which may occur long after you have stopped taking clarithromycin)
- Heart palpitations or an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling (especially of the lips, mouth, or throat)
- Wheezing or other breathing problems.