Serious problems are unlikely to occur if you take too much Furadantin. However, it's still important to seek medical attention just in case treatment is required. Treatment options for an overdose of Furadantin will vary, but may include things like drinking lots of fluids to help the kidneys clear the medication from the bloodstream and monitoring a person's vital signs.
Can You Take Too Much Furadantin?Furadantin® (nitrofurantoin suspension) is a prescription antibiotic. Information from cases of Furadantin overdoses suggests that such situations are not particularly dangerous. However, the specific effects will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Furadantin dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseIn cases of overdose with nitrofurantoin (the active ingredient in Furadantin), only vomiting was reported as a possible effect. Of course, an overdose could cause any of the usual Furadantin side effects that would be seen with normal doses.
Treatment for a Furadantin OverdoseThe treatment for an overdose with Furadantin will vary. It is usually recommended to drink plenty of fluids, as this helps the kidneys clear the medication from the bloodstream. Treatment also involves supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
- Careful monitoring of vital signs
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
Dialysis can be useful for removing Furadantin from the bloodstream, although this drastic measure is probably unnecessary in most cases.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Furadantin.