Bacteria Home > Bactroban Dosage
The exact dose of Bactroban a healthcare provider prescribes depends on the form being used. For example, the skin cream and ointment are generally applied three times a day, whereas the nasal ointment is applied twice a day. Regardless of the form used, it is important to take the medication for the exact period the healthcare provider recommends.
An Introduction to Dosing With BactrobanThe dose of Bactroban® (mupirocin) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending mostly on the particular form of the product used. As is always the case, do not adjust this amount unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Bactroban Dosing GuidelinesFor Bactroban skin cream or skin ointment, the standard recommended dosage is a small amount applied to the affected area three times daily. For the nasal ointment, the standard dose is half a single-use (1-gram) tube applied into each nostril twice daily for five days.
General Information on Your Bactroban DosageConsiderations to keep in mind during treatment with Bactroban include the following:
- When using the skin products, you may cover the area with a dressing or bandage if desired.
- For the nasal ointment, after applying it, repeatedly pinch and release the sides of the nose for one minute (this spreads the ointment throughout the nostrils).
- Bactroban skin products are not designed to be used within the nose. Only the special nasal ointment should be used for this purpose.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not miss doses or stop taking this antibiotic earlier than your healthcare provider recommends, as bacterial resistance may develop.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Bactroban dosing in general, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not end treatment early without first discussing it with your healthcare provider, and do not use this medication for longer than your healthcare provider recommends.