Bacteria Home > Bactroban
When and How to Take This MedicineGeneral considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Bactroban include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of skin cream, skin ointment, and nasal ointment.
- The nasal ointment is applied into the nose twice daily for five days. After applying the ointment, repeatedly pinch and release the sides of the nose for one minute (this spreads the ointment throughout the nostrils).
- The skin products are usually applied to the affected area three times daily. A dressing or bandage may be applied to cover the area, if desired.
- For Bactroban to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not miss doses or stop taking this antibiotic earlier than your healthcare provider recommends, as bacterial resistance may develop.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Bactroban your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending mostly on the particular product that is used. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Side Effects of BactrobanJust like any medicine, Bactroban can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. Most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider. Serious reactions are less common.
- Burning or stinging
- Runny nose (for the nasal ointment).