Bacteria Home > Cipro Uses
Cipro is licensed to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections in adults and children. Some of these infections Cipro is used to treat include pneumonia, sinus infections, and urinary tract infections. Cipro works by interfering with the bacteria's ability to grow and multiply. Older adults may need a lower dosage, as they may be more susceptible to side effects or other problems.
What Is Cipro Used For?Cipro® (ciprofloxacin) is a prescription antibiotic medication that belongs to a group of drugs called fluoroquinolones, or just "quinolones" for short.
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs), commonly called "bladder infections"
- Kidney infections
- Prostate infections
- Sinus infections
- Infections of the skin and surrounding tissue
- Severe infections within the abdomen (stomach)
- Diarrhea (when it is caused by bacteria)
- Bone and joint infections
- Typhoid fever.
- Escherichia coli (E. coli)
- Moraxella catarrhalis
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae