It is possible to receive too much Mefoxin (cefoxitin). However, an overdose is more likely to occur in people who have poor kidney function. In fact, even normal doses of Mefoxin can cause an overdose in people who have poorly functioning kidneys. Some of the possible effects may include seizures, brain problems, and even a coma. Treatment may include dialysis and close medical supervision.
Can You Receive Too Much Mefoxin?Mefoxin® (cefoxitin) is a prescription antibiotic given intravenously (by IV). As with any medication, it is possible to receive too much Mefoxin.
The specific effects of an overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Mefoxin dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseSome of the possible effects of an overdose with a cephalosporin antibiotic like Mefoxin could include:
- Unusual muscle movements or hyperactivity
- Brain problems.
A Mefoxin overdose is probably more likely to cause problems in people with poorly functioning kidneys, as the kidneys remove Mefoxin from the body. In fact, even normal Mefoxin doses can cause overdose symptoms in people with kidney disease. This is why it is important for your healthcare provider to adjust your Mefoxin dosage based on how well your kidneys are functioning.
Treatment for a Mefoxin OverdosePeople who have been given too much Mefoxin should be kept under close medical supervision to watch for any problems or complications that arise. For people with kidney disease, dialysis can be helpful for removing the excess Mefoxin from the bloodstream.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on this medication.