The usual recommended moxifloxacin dosage is 400 mg once daily. The length of treatment will vary from person to person, depending on the type and severity of the infection. You can take your moxifloxacin dose at any time of the day, as long as there is approximately 24 hours between doses. Make sure to finish your prescription, even if you start feeling better.
The dose of moxifloxacin (Avelox®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of infection and bacteria
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Moxifloxacin Dosing GuidelinesThe standard recommended dose of moxifloxacin is 400 mg once daily. Be sure to finish your prescription, even if you start to feel better. Stopping the medication too soon could lead to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. The length of time your healthcare provider recommends that you take moxifloxacin will depend on the type and severity of your infections. Some infections can be treated with as few as five days of treatment; others require much longer use.
Some considerations for people taking moxifloxacin include the following:
- Moxifloxacin comes in tablet and injectable form. It is usually taken once a day.
- You can take the drug with food or on an empty stomach. If moxifloxacin bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Moxifloxacin can be taken at any time of the day; however, be sure to take the medication at the same time each day to make sure there is approximately 24 hours between doses.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Moxifloxacin will not work adequately if you stop taking it too soon.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or moxifloxacin dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.