Some general considerations for those taking moxifloxacin include the following:
- Moxifloxacin comes in tablet and injectable form. It is usually taken once a day.
- You can take the drug with food or on an empty stomach. If moxifloxacin bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Moxifloxacin can be taken at any time of the day; however, be sure to take it at the same time each day to make sure there is approximately 24 hours between doses.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Moxifloxacin will not work adequately if you stop taking it too soon.
The dose of moxifloxacin your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of infection and bacteria
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Moxifloxacin Dosage for more information.)
Moxifloxacin can potentially interact with several other medications (see Drug Interactions With Moxifloxacin).
Based on the results of animal studies, people who take an overdose may experience effects such as (but not limited to):
If you happen to overdose on moxifloxacin, seek immediate medical attention.
(Click Avelox Overdose for more information.)