The specific effects of an overdose with ofloxacin will depend on how the drug was taken, which product was used, and if it was combined with any other substances. If an overdose is taken orally, for example, it could cause nausea and slurred speech. When applied to the eye or ear, it could cause burning or discomfort.
Can You Take Too Much Ofloxacin?Ofloxacin is an antibiotic used to treat certain infections. It comes as a tablet, an ophthalmic (eye) solution, and an otic (ear) solution. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much ofloxacin.
The specific effects of an overdose will likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the ofloxacin dosage, the specific product used, and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have intentionally or accidentally overdosed on this medication.
Effects of an Ofloxacin OverdoseThe effects of an overdose with ofloxacin tablets may include:
- Hot and cold flashes
- Facial swelling
- Numbness in the face
- Slurred speech.
These problems are unlikely to result from an overdose with the eye or ear drops. Using too much of the ear drops may cause ear irritation, such as burning, discomfort, or itching. Using too much of the eye drops may cause eye irritation, including burning and discomfort.
Treatment for an Ofloxacin OverdoseThe treatment for an ofloxacin overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent and taken by mouth, a healthcare provider may place a tube into the stomach to "pump" it. Dialysis is not expected to be particularly helpful for removing this medication from the body.
Treatment may also include supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive treatment for an overdose with ofloxacin may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Close monitoring for serious problems, such as seizures
- Gently flushing the eyes with warm water
- Gently flushing the ears with water.