Considerations to keep in mind when taking Sumycin include the following:
- Sumycin comes as a tablet or liquid suspension. It is usually taken two to four times a day, depending on your healthcare provider's instructions.
- It is best to take Sumycin without food, at least one hour before or two hours after a meal.
- Drink a full glass of water with each dose.
- The medication should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your system.
- For Sumycin to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Make sure that you complete your entire prescription, even if you start feeling better. This will ensure that the infection is completely treated.
- Never take outdated Sumycin. This can cause serious problems because outdated drugs can be toxic to the kidneys.
There are specific dietary restrictions with Sumycin. The medicine works the best if taken either one hour before you eat or two hours after you have eaten. If Sumycin is taken too close to meals, the drug will not be absorbed as well and may not produce maximal effects.
The dose of Sumycin your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Whether you have decreased kidney function
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Tetracycline Dosage for more information.)